My 100 Favorite Films. Entry #33: The Prestige.



The Prestige (2006)
written by Christopher and Jonathan Nolan
directed by Jonathan Nolan
starring Hugh Jackman, Christian Bale, Piper Perabo, Michael Caine, Rebecca Hall and Scarlett Johansson
country: usa/uk
genre: drama

Visuals: 9
Writing: 9
Everyday watchability: 5

It's been six months since my last film post. I've been so busy getting through school that I've (rightfully) been neglecting my film analysis duties. But I have missed it. It's a good workout for the old brain cells.

My first movie after my hiatus is The Prestige. The Prestige is one of those movies that people like to brag about, saying "I saw the end coming a mile away." The problem is that the film isn't written in such a way that you're supposed to be shocked by the ending; although I'm sure many were, to be sure. The film is written so that there's no way you can pick up on all the intricacies of the illusion. Not to brag, but I figured some of the ending about half an hour before the credits, but I wasn't about to leave. The movie was simply too gorgeous and too perfectly nuanced to give up on.



Reactions:

0 comment(s).: