Reaction layouts.

I'm working on the layouts, colour scheme and infographic for my magazine re|action. Imagine each of these images as two facing pages layed out in front of you. The first two are for the cover story, which is essentially the most important article and centerpiece of the magazine. The third image is for a feature article, which is secondary only to the cover story. The fourth, fifth and six are for sections, which are a recurring element of the magazine. These are for a book review and two film reviews.






Reactions:

4 comment(s).:

November 6, 2009 at 12:56 AM Sea of Love... ...forthelackofwords said...

yes.

simple, good lines. affecting images.

i need to read more. more books, more often.

lets meet up in seattle.

November 7, 2009 at 2:23 PM Anonymous said...

Nice job, Lee. In particular, I think all the photos work really well together: same palette, feel, look. Hard thing to do for many of our magazines.
I like the clean minimalism (no drop caps, quotes, etc.) but you may get a few negative comments about that. maybe.
Nice consistency throughout. Good use of hangline.

Here are a few of my reactions:

In general: Have you tried not using hypenation?

Some copy blocks are kind of dense and daunting, maybe 'cause body copy is small. Break up with quotes or cheap graphic device? Numbers correspond to spreads.

1. Like this one very much. Nice colors; like how lines mimic line of type when you squint. Only nit, and it's a small one: Top colored bar bugs me 'cause it's getting cut off and isn't same size as rest. Can fix easily.
2. Maybe too much white space between photo/quote and story; too separated. Want col.1 to either line up with bottom of pic in col. 2 or be dramatically more zigzagged. Need more than 4 lines in col. 4.
Open quote marks are upside-down. Intentional? Closed quote marks could be slightly darker.
3. Kerning between words I MAKE CINEMA too wide and space between TO BREATHE pretty tight. Maybe play with color of words a little more?
4. Maybe make " a personal intro … in dark gray?
GREAT infographic. Informative, nice colors, good idea. Can you do one for me?
Consider adding a little bit of leading above "the larger the block …"
Try blowing up second pic, cropping sides so that all three pics are same height?
5. Align bottom or make more obviously different.
6.Move photo caption next to picture. Right now you read right into it from the rest of the copy.

You're really far along. *sigh*

Denise

November 7, 2009 at 3:15 PM Lee said...

Thanks Denise! Tons of great notes! I'm on it. I'll be marking these off as I go.

As for the infographic, that part was the most fun. I want to do more. I just need some more great concepts.

November 8, 2009 at 9:13 AM Anonymous said...

OK, here's a concept: Die-off of bee colonies in the last 10 years or so.

I have numbers but he's encouraging me not to use them.

So I was thinking of having bees on pins. Fewer bees on pin in 1990, etc. till present where there are many.

Any other ideas welcome.