My first typography assignment: patterns thumbnails.

I started work on Tuesday on my first assignment for my typography course. As you may or may not know, typography is essentially the art of arranging type and designing typefaces. Click the link for more info; I don't have much time right now.

Our first project is to take a letter from a chosen set of typefaces and arrange it in a square so that it demonstrates one of these concepts: Pattern; Scale; Congestion; Style Contrast; Positive & Negative Space; Playfulness; Tension. I started with Pattern, simply because I could do it without making a bunch of photocopies of the letters and different sizes.

The first step in the design process (after research) is to create thumbnails. These are loose sketches of your idea, so that you can see what works and what doesn't and try out different ideas. Presented below are my thumbnails that represent Pattern. My next step is to select five, present them to my professor, then select two of them to make tight roughs. More on that when I get to it. For now, take a look.

Note: these are traced. Not free-hand.

Reactions:

2 comment(s).:

October 4, 2008 at 12:24 PM MPU said...

Modify them glyphs. Neat stuff.

October 5, 2008 at 6:47 AM Peaches said...

These are cool! like them a lot, raced or not. I especially like row two, number 3 (2nd from the right)