Tokyo Graffiti #007.


It's taken a while, but I've finally found something to post about. Oh joy.

On my second trip to Japan, which was in March of 2005, my brother and I were stopped on the street by Matsushita Ryoko, an editor for a new Japanese magazine called Tokyo Graffiti. For inclusion in the magazine, she asked us to draw pictures of what we thought of Japanese people. I believe I drew a Japanese schoolgirl uniform (pleated skirt, white shirt, tie). I'm not sure what my brother drew. She then took our pictures.

Luckily, she handed me her business card, which included a sticker notifying us of the issue we would likely appear in. At least I hope so, because I just ordered it online. I ordered it from a Japanese website called KK Longsellers, although I have no idea what a longseller is. I managed to read some katakana on the website, but mostly I Babelfished my way through it, entering my address and clicking "next," thinking I'd eventually be told a shipping total and asked to enter my credit card info, but I never was. The last page told me to pay within a week of receiving my magazine. I'm not sure I'll ever get it, and if I do, I'm not sure how I'll pay for it.

RyokoThe business card that got me going.
Reactions:

6 comment(s).:

July 10, 2008 at 6:27 PM Jefferysan said...

No way! You remember that?!

July 10, 2008 at 7:30 PM Lee said...

Yeah, I've been holding onto this business card for years. I can scan it and add it to the post. Do you think they'll actually mail that magazine to me?

August 2, 2009 at 8:09 PM Summer said...

Did you ever get the magazine? I live in Japan and know people who work for the company. if you want I can ask if they have the back issues for sale...

August 2, 2009 at 8:51 PM Lee said...

Summer, you're blowing my mind! No, I never got it. Could you really ask and see if you could get a hold of it? If you're American, I could send you something you miss from America as compensation.

April 12, 2010 at 7:23 PM Rick said...

As a photographer and artist, it would be a dream to work for that company. I love that magazine to death. Who do you know who works there, american or japanese? And how did they manage to get the position? O_O

May 8, 2010 at 8:32 PM Booyah! said...

try this!
Amazon JP in English
http://www.amazon.co.jp/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?__mk_ja_JP=%83J%83%5E%83J%83i&url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Tokyo+graffiti&x=22&y=14

http://jenanglu.com/posts/lessons/japanese/自己紹介/