What I've learned about Portland, Oregon.


Well, there are some things I knew about Portland already. Since it's in Oregon, there's no sales tax and you can't pump your own gas. Other interesting things are now coming to light. I'm going to lay out a few of them.
1. Nobody is actually from Portland. Of the three people I've talked to for more than 10 seconds at a time, 100% of them are from the San Francisco Bay Area. Now I don't feel so bad for being from the San Francisco Bay Area.

2. People from Portland are called Portlanders. I guess there's no good way to say it really. I would probably just go with "people from Portland."

3. There are bicycles everywhere, which is kind of interesting because the weather is lousy for bicycle riding.

4. Portlanders don't know how to lock up their bikes. This one is the funniest to me. 95% of the bikes I see around town are improperly locked up. Most of the time, their lock only goes through the frame and bike rack and not through the wheel. Anybody looking for a couple of new wheels would have a field day in Portland. Simply stroll up, undo the wheels and walk away. I've also seen a number of bikes using crummy cable locks which can be snapped through in a second with a pair of bolt cutters. My favourite is the bike I saw with a U-lock hanging from its frame, with the bike resting on its kickstand next to a bike rack. I almost rode off on it just on principle.
Reactions:

5 comment(s).:

June 10, 2008 at 2:10 PM MPU said...

Is that the Portland city flag?

June 10, 2008 at 2:15 PM Lee said...

Yes. You obviously didn't click the link to Wikipedia's page on Portland.

June 10, 2008 at 4:47 PM MPU said...

That is true. I did not go to Wikipedia, "The Source of All Knowledge."

June 11, 2008 at 12:26 PM Peaches said...

As a public service, I believe you should design and print up cards that you can weave into the spokes of the improperly secured bikes giving them a lesson in proper locking of bicycles. :)

June 11, 2008 at 12:28 PM Lee said...

Wow, that's actually a great idea. I think I just might do that!