If I could make music like this: three songs by three bands.

Every once in a while I'll hear a new piece of music and think, "man, I wish I could make music like that." I don't mean that I want to emulate or mimic them, but when I create music, I feel like I'm trying to evoke something similar to those other bands. I picked three bands and one song by each of them that best exemplifies this.

The Radio Dept. - Keen on Boys
The Radio Dept. fills practically every song they make with waves of reverb and plenty of distortion, but they always manage to make their music sound warm and comforting. In this particular song, I love the way the drums grow throughout the song, starting out muted and revealing itself sonically and rhythmically throughout the length of the song.
Ratatat - Crips
Ratatat is a duo made up of a programmer/keyboardist and a guitarist. It's impressive how they can get so many different sounds out of a guitar. The sound of the drums is incredibly snappy and the keyboards and guitars create a wall of rich sound.
The Knife - Na Na Na
I don't ever work with vocals in my music, but if I did, I hope that they might have some of the power that they do in Knife songs. The voice is used as another instrument, with the sound altered and affected to be haunting yet beautiful. Their synth soundscapes are impressive, with their ability to sound cold and mechanical while also feeling oddly organic.
Reactions:

1 comment(s).:

June 9, 2008 at 7:50 PM Peaches said...

I can't believe I am saying this, but the Ratatat was my favorite. Your audio reviews are interesting. Really.