My 100 favourite films. Entry #10: Close Encounters of the Third Kind.



Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977)
directed by Steven Spielberg
starring Richard Dreyfuss, Francois Truffaut, Melinda Dillon, Bob Balaban and Teri Garr
country: USA
genre: Sci-fi

Visuals: 10
Writing: 7
Everyday watchability: 6
Number of different versions of the film: 3 (at least)

Close Encounters came at a time very early in Spielberg's career, when he was still in love with making films for the sake of making films, as opposed to making them because it's his job. Watching the film to this day, I can still see the joy of creation in every scene and every frame. I see the doe-eyed optimism and an eagerness to create something new, alter something old, and push the boundaries of studio filmmaking. Close Encounters is gorgeous not only for its immaculate cinematography and amazing acting, but for being a clear view of a filmmaker at love with what he does.








Reactions:

2 comment(s).:

May 21, 2008 at 9:44 AM Timber Beast said...

I love playing with my mashed potatoes. "This means something."

May 21, 2008 at 6:50 PM Peaches said...

I wish I could read the review without having to hear the tones. . .