Bicycle 1 - Car Door 1

Since the bicycle was invented people have been opening car doors in front of them in an effort to prove that gasoline power is better than human power. On Sunday, I took part in a rematch of the age old Bicycle vs Car Door rivalry. I got off of BART train at the Rockridge Station and was riding down College Ave. at a pretty good speed. A car came up behind me so I moved to my right, closer to the parked cars that lined the street. As this car was pulling past me on my left, a lady up ahead opened up her door just a little. At first I thought I might be able to go around, but then realized the car on my left was much too close. The lady then opened up her door all the way and I slammed directly into it. I actually aimed toward the center part of her door to make sure I didn't get the vertex of it in my chest.

From this point, I'm not sure what happened. Either my bike fell to the ground and I remained standing or I fell to the ground with my bike. Somehow I think it was the first. I sat down on the ground for a second and she made sure I was alright, then related some story to me about how she'd done the same thing in San Anselmo (where the streets are apparently much wider). I rolled up my pant leg to review the damage and made sure I didn't have previously unnoticed broken bones or brain damage.

As I was riding off, I noticed that my brake levers were twisted (since they hit the door first), but I was pretty easily able to pull them back in place. Also, she had a difficult time getting her door to close because it was jammed in the open position. As one might say, I got her as good as she got me. I almost hope her door is messed up to the point where it costs her some serious dough to fix. Then maybe she'll learn to check her mirrors when opening her freaking door.



Here's where it happened.


Here's the look on my face during the incident.
Reactions:

4 comment(s).:

May 7, 2008 at 3:50 PM MPU said...

Male parental unit here. R U OK?

May 7, 2008 at 5:52 PM Lee said...

Yeah, I'm fine. Just had a couple of rug burns from my pants shifting. No bruises, breaks, splinters or sprains.

May 7, 2008 at 6:11 PM Anonymous said...

What a drag! I loved your selection of the Lucille Ball photo--I am so used to only seeing her in black and white that it was even more shocking (in keeping with your reaction to that car door opening) to see her in vivid red, blue, mint green.

I can't believe that woman didn't learn from one incident. I am glad you didn't reflexively turn into the lane with the car. People get some serious injuries with this type of collision. Yes, I hope that her car door is screwed up but good!

--Mary

November 9, 2009 at 5:49 PM Sea of Love... ...forthelackofwords said...

recently i was unlocking my bike from a parking meter. my bike fell over onto the pavement, narrowly avoiding the 2 parked cars. i just watched my girl go down, and only when i got on it did i notice the handlebars had shifted. i rode a couple blocks that way and it was kind of fun.
but i pulled them back into alignment before anything else weird could happen.
hi lee!