My 100 favourite films. Entry #3: M*A*S*H



M*A*S*H (1970)
directed by Robert Altman
starring Donald Sutherland, Elliot Gould, Tom Skerritt, Sally Kellerman, Robert Duvall, etc.
Country: USA
Genre: Comedy

Visuals: 10
Writing: 9
Everyday watchability: 7
No. of actours who made it from the film to the tv show: 1 (Gary Burghoff aka Radar)








After I saw this film, I wanted to be Donald Sutherland for a good month. He portrayed the kind of non-chalance that made the squares want to be round. I wanted to be the kind of person who cares about other people, but acts with a vague indifference to matters. Plus, I look a little bit like him I think.

M*A*S*H was a movie unlike others before it; visually it was full of zooms, tilts, pans, move-ins, pull-outs and aurally it was replete with overlapping dialogue. The technique keeps the movie constantly interesting with something to see, hear, take in.

Few films manage to combine strong characters, humour, social relevancy and groundbreaking cinematic techniques the way this one does.
Reactions:

2 comment(s).:

April 26, 2008 at 6:38 AM Timber Beast said...

I watched MASH twice, back-to-back showings, when it came out. Vietnam was going badly. The film showed the futility of war.

April 29, 2008 at 10:18 PM Lee said...

I never knew that. I thought you weren't a Robert Altman fan... or did that come later?